Preparing your home for the market…in this order
Repairs: Complete all needed maintenance repairs on your house before listing. Even if the repairs are minor, it will affect the perceived value. This should be done prior to listing on the MLS and maintained throughout the listing process.
Declutter: This is to include excess furniture as well as excess accessories and/or knick knacks. Ensure all closets are neat and organized, not “full”. Pack away unnecessary items and store. Personal photos should be kept to a minimum.
Painting: Complete any necessary painting on the interior and/or exterior of your house. If it has been a while and your paint, inside or out, is faded, then it’s time to re-paint. If the colors are out-of-date or “loud”, then you should re-paint. All of these items will chip away at the perceived value of the house.
Landscaping: Be sure that the landscape beds have fresh mulch. Plant colorful lowers in the beds or in pots at the front entry. If you have a back patio, be sure to include fresh planted flowers and colorful patio cushions for any outdoor furniture. Replace any broken fencing. Remove any unused or old items in the yard.
Staging: This could include professional help or just some tweaking of your existing decor. Requirements for this are on a case-by-case basis or as needed.
The goal is to create a warm and inviting place that the buyers don’t want to leave. The longer they stay and linger, the better chance of getting an offer.
How to Add Curb Appeal
- Trim bushes and branches so they don’t block windows or architectural details.
- Set a pot of bright flowers (or a small evergreen in winter) on your porch or front walkway.
- Install new, matching locks and knobs on your front door.
- Repair any cracks or holes in the driveway, and clean oil spots with degreaser and a steel brush.
- Edge the grass around walkways and trees.
- Stow your garden tools and hoses out of sight, and clear kids’ toys from the lawn.
- Buy a new mailbox.
- Upgrade your outdoor lighting.
- Purchase a new doormat for outside your front door.
- Clean your windows, inside and out.
- Polish or replace your house numbers.
- Mow your lawn. Also, turning on the sprinklers for 30 minutes before the showing will make the whole yard sparkle.
- Place a seasonal wreath on your door.